CSC Wi-Fi Choupal initiative encapsulates enabling of Wi-Fi Service in all 2.5 lakhs Gram Panchayat by deploying affordable and effective infrastructure thereby delivering services at an affordable price and reliable access of internet through Village Level Entrepreneurs of CSC. WiFi is unique approach as it is an inexpensive data-centric broadband access technology. This makes WiFi a high-potential technology for rural communication services. WiFi zone is facilitated in rural areas for enhancing digital services in the area through which rural areas can be brought altogether and will be connected to urban community. Low-cost plans are used for connecting different end-user devices such as laptops, desktops, smartphones, etc. Through accessing Internet, remote villages can be brought into the mainstream of digital technology and world economy. Along with WiFi, FTTH system is also considered for last mile Internet connectivity.
FTTH: Fiber to the home (FTTH), also known as “fiber to the premises” (FTTP), is the installation and use of optical fiber from a central point directly to individual buildings such as residences, apartment buildings and businesses to provide unprecedented high-speed Internet access. Various government institutions in the gram panchayats such as police stations, public health and wellness centers, schools, anganwadi, sub-centers, panchayts, and agriculture depot/ration shops will be provided Internet access through FTTH network.
The FTTH connectivity enumerates several benefits:
1. It is the most effective broadband technology
2. Last mile connectivity through FTTH is wider in comparison to WiFi which has a limited range around and can only be used as a shared medium around the site
3. FTTH connectivity can be considered as an effective network for providing multiple connectivity under an expanding broadband services network
4. The connectivity option stimulates the utilization of Internet access services across the rural areas efficiently
5. The possibilities of employment opportunities can be increased with FTTH connectivity as it has potential to provide connectivity to millions of rural subscribers